Both a pest and a legally protected species, possums are territorial and crafty creatures that have adapted to the Gold Coast’s urban environment.
If you find yourself with one of these unwanted residents in your roof, call our expert team on 131 546 for eco-friendly possum removal Gold Coast services that will keep them out for good.
Possum removal Gold Coast – why is it so important?
These critters can cause plenty of issues in your home. These include:
- Noise: They are noisy and nocturnal, so they will keep you awake at night.
- Damages: They can damage ceiling insulation by using insulation for nests, they can chew electrical wiring, and they can cause structural damage such as making roof holes bigger.
- Diseases: They can carry mites, ticks, parasites and bacterial infections onto humans, and create hygiene issues by filling your roof with urine and droppings.
The eviction process
Being territorial creatures, possums will always try to return to the roof we removed them from. This is why our removal process includes steps to stop them from coming back.
Our techniques are humane and eco-friendly. Our team will find the entry point, place a cage trap over it, and wait 24 hours to make sure all animals get captured. We then ‘possum proof’ your area by sealing up any entry points. Queensland law requires us to release them within 25 metres of the capture point, but with your roof sealed up, it will have to find a new home that’s not in your house.
Proper removal is legally only allowed to be carried out by a licenced professional. DIY solutions don’t usually fix the problem, as another possum will move in in its place.
Prevention is key
The only way to prevent these animals from getting into your roof is to make sure there are no access points. Keep them out with these steps:
- Entry points: Make sure your house roof and eves are well maintained. Any holes the size of a tennis ball can serve as an entry point. Check your home’s subfloor if you have one.
- Landscaping: Keep overhanging branches trimmed back from your roof.
- Offer alternatives: You might want to hang wooden nesting boxes or hollow logs in nearby trees to give them new homes outside of your house. Most ‘evicted’ possums will find new dens quickly after being removed from your property.
Talk to the experts
Our pest experts are fully trained with humane, eco-friendly methods so that Gold Coast possum removal is safe for everyone involved. Removal and proper prevention is all part of the Jim’s quality service, which is always backed by the Jim’s Guarantee: if it’s not right the first time, we’ll come back until it is.