Silverfish are a common pest in Australia, and while there are a lot of insects that can infest Australian households (from cockroaches to spiders to termites), silverfish can be particularly difficult to manage because of what they eat (which is just about everything)! They are hard-bodied, very fast and tricky to get rid of, but relax – we at Jim’s Termite & Pest Control know everything that needs to be known to eradicate these insects from your property.
However, there’s more to these resilient critters than you may know!
- Despite the name, silverfish are insects and not actually fish! They get their name because they are silvery-blue (much like the scales of a fish) and move side-to-side, resembling a fish tail in water.
- Although they are wingless, silverfish are able to move quickly along horizontal surfaces due to six thin legs in the middle of their body.
- They are especially attracted to moist areas such as inside sinks, near drains, bathroom cupboards and laundries.
- Silverfish are nocturnal. You are more likely to find them at night, preferring the dark to seek out food. Their eyes are sensitive to light and they feel their way along using their quivering antennae.
- Their bodies need carbohydrates and protein to survive. They’ll eat fabric, clothing, paper, carpeting, photos, plaster, wallpaper and many other materials. If you open a book and find the pages holey and half-eaten, you may very well have a silverfish infestation.
- A silverfish’s main defence is its speed, however vertical surfaces can prove to be more of a challenge.
- They have been around for a LONG time and are believed to be one of the oldest and most primitive insects on Earth. According to some scientists, they may go back over 400 million years!
To help deter silverfish from invading your home or commercial property:
- Reduce the humidity inside
- Vacuum frequently, including under beds and furniture
- Remove food sources
- Fill in any dark, damp cracks and crevices
Of course, if you detect Silverfish at your property or find evidence of the damage they cause, Jim’s Termite & Pest Control can help you by eliminating the problem, using appropriate pest control methods that suit your home, and offering advice on preventing them from returning. Don’t delay, contact your local Jim’s Termite & Pest Control Franchisee today – We are the experts when it comes to understanding the habits of pests and rodents in your area.