It’s not only us mere mortals who like to retreat indoors during the winter months. Rats and mice feel the same way. They’re looking for a cosy place to call home and our buildings are the ideal haven with all the comforts of home. Food, water, warmth and shelter – the perfect place to nest and reproduce!
Rodents may look cute in cartoons, but an infestation of these critters can wreak havoc in your life, causing problems such as:
- Sickness, disease (even death) via their excrements and parasites (e.g. fleas & intestinal worms)
- Cause extensive structural damage to property and contents
- Food contamination via their droppings, urine or fur
To avoid infestation the best pest control is a preventative approach – don’t let them in! This can be achieved by adapting the following simple routine:
- Sanitation – eliminate the availability food and water, keep countertops clean and store food in sealed containers.
- Pet food – store in covered containers. Remove pet food and bowl as soon as finished with.
- Rubbish – keep tightly sealed and indoors at night.
- Plug entry points such as holes and cracks with wire mesh, including roof cavities.
- Yard Maintenance – keep grasses cut short, don’t leave fruits and vegetables to rot on the ground and avoid rubbish build-ups around the outside of your property.
In last month’s blog we discussed the costly impact that cockroaches can have on a business and its reputation. The same applies to mice and rat control, reinforcing the importance of having a pest management system in place that includes the above-mentioned routine, plus educate staff in identification and signs of a rodent infestation.
If you notice any sign of invasion, act now and contact your local rodent control experts – Jim’s Termite & Pest Control. Our guaranteed plan of attack includes:
- Inspect and report findings
- Bait – set up rodent bait stations at various strategic locations
- Traps – set up specially designed traps where baits cannot be used
- Sometimes we may need to use rodent tracking powders
- Plus, provide you with a proactive plan to avoid future problems